Friday, May 6, 2011

Vin Diesel talks about "Fast Five" extra scene as well as the franchise's future

Entertainment Weekly talked with "Fast Five" star Vin Diesel Thursday, expanding on the extra scene following the film's end credits and what it means for the eventual sixth film.

(Since this will obviously include spoilers for "Fast Five," the rest of this post will be behind the break.)

Okay, you've been warned.

Those who have seen "Fast Five" and stayed through the credits know of the extra scene in which DDS special agent Luke Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) is handed a file about a robbery involving Letty Ortiz (Michelle Rodriguez), who was supposedly killed in the previous film, "Fast and Furious."

"Fast  Five" raised $85 million
in its first weekend.
“It was very deliberate, the way the Letty character was handled in 'Fast Five,'” Diesel told Entertainment Weekly. “It was very deliberate that you never saw the body. When Dom confronts Fenix, he says, ‘I don’t remember her face because the last time I saw her she was burning’ -- not, ‘I shot her in the f***ing head.’ You’re going to learn more in the next one.”

Diesel continues that he considers "Fast and Furious," "Fast Five" and the eventual sixth installment a trilogy. He goes on to say if they series continues past that film, he would only agree to stay on if they plan out another trilogy.

“If I were going to do it indefinitely, I’d have to do it in threes," he said in the interview. "So after the sixth, we’d have to map out the next three stories before I did the seventh. I’ll never do 7 without knowing what 7, 8, and 9 look like.”

Although I had some major problems with "Fast and Furious," the latest installment was incredibly fun. By re-purposing the film as a heist movie rather than just another racing flick, director Justin Lin and screenwriter Chris Morgan were able to inject a lot of energy into the franchise. They also backed away from the computer-generated chase scenes of the fourth film and produced one of the best chase sequences I've ever seen in the climatic showdown at the end of "Fast Five."

A week ago, I would have said I couldn't care less about a "Fast Six," let along another three, but now I'm curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment