Saturday, September 3, 2011

Steven Soderbergh speaks out about 'The Hunger Games'

A month after it was first reported that Steven Soderbergh ("Ocean's 11," "Traffic") was on the set of "The Hunger Games" helping out with some second unit work, the director is speaking out about his experiences with the project.

Steven Soderbergh
Attempting to quash rumors why he was he was helping out, Soderbergh spoke with Moviefone, saying, "I show up in North Carolina, a crewmember Tweets, 'Steven Soderbergh's here.'' And immediately the...firestorm starts. 'Why is he here? What's going on? Is the movie in trouble? Is he directing footage from the second one?" All of this crazy-ass speculation. People just spinning off.

Soderbergh and "The Hunger Games" director Gary Ross have worked together before, as the former helped produce the latter's 1998 film "Pleasantville."

According to Soderbergh, "The story is really simple. Back in April, Gary--who is a close friend of mine I've exchanged creative favors with non-stop over the last 15 years--when he got the boards for the shoot in April called me and said, 'Hey, first week of August, I got these two days of second unit. Is there any way you can come down and help me out? Because I'd rather have you do it than hire somebody who I don't know.' I said, 'Actually, that works out.' We'll just be finishing 'Contagion' and prepping 'Magic Mike' and, yeah, it could be fun."


The film will debut March 23, 2012.
As for whether fans will be able to tell which scenes he director, Soderbergh says no.

"Of course the whole design of it and what's fun about it, for me, is my job is to come in and duplicate exactly what Gary and Tom Stern, the [cinematographer], are doing. To mimic as closely as I can to their aesthetic. And that's what I attempted to do. But if I've done my job properly, I hope I did, by design, you won't be able to tell what I did. Because it's supposed to cut seamlessly into what they're doing. That's the whole point. That's why he asked me to come down, because he knew that I would be rigorous about matching what they were doing."

The cast for "The Hunger Games" includes Jennifer Lawrence ("Winter's Bone"), Josh Hutcherson ("Bridge to Terabithia"), Donald Sutherland ("The Mechanic") Lenny Kravitz ("Precious"), Woody Harrelson ("Zombieland"), Liam Hemsworth ("The Last Song"), Elizabeth Banks ("The Next Three Days"), Paula Malcomson ("Sons of Anarchy"), Wes Bentley ("American Beauty"), Stanley Tucci ("The Lovely Bones") and newcomer Willow Shields ("Beyond the Blackboard").

The film is set for a March 23, 2012, release.   

No comments:

Post a Comment